No matter who we are, we would desire nothing but the best for our child. That is very much true for all of us, parents. We would want them to learn so many things about the world. That way, they would be fully prepared and have a successful future. We also know that our child could accomplish such a feat if they earn proper education. More so, if they gained it at an early age. For sure, none of us doubts it. That is why we work day and night so we could provide a good education for them. Besides, that is the only thing we could offer them that they could remember for the rest of their lives. As a result, choosing where to enrol our child becomes such a complicated matter for us to decide. Which school is right for them? Should we enrol them at an IB international high school in Singapore? Let us find out if that education is right for them.
Is IB International School Right for Your Child?
As parents, we all know that a curriculum could mould and shape the minds of each student. So, it does make sense why choosing your child’s curriculum has become a challenge for you to decide. Hence, listed below will help you make the right choice.
What is IB?
The acronym IB stands for International Baccalaureate. It is a curriculum that is a bit similar to AP (Advanced Placement) classes and often taken in international high school in Singapore. As for what it is, it uses a holistic approach so students could understand each concept even better. As a result, students would become more motivated to improve themselves.
Even though IB is not entirely the same as AP, some students confuse themselves with one another. Of course, to not let that happen to you and your child, this article will show you what makes IB different from AP.
What Are the Subjects Under IB Education?
At IB, students who get to take this curriculum are usually between the ages of three to nineteen years old. That is why the IB school in Singapore offers a PYP (Primary Years Programme) to DP (Diploma Programme). So, students could develop their interpersonal and extrapersonal skills.
Listed below are the six subjects students need to learn within two years of their DP.
Studying about literary criticism and text from different periods and written in various languages.
- Language Acquisition
Learning how to speak, write, and communicate successfully using a different language.
- Social Science
It branches different subjects about the world, such as geography, philosophy, psychology, etc.
It also branches different subjects that help understand the world like biology, chemistry, physics, and technology.
Aside from arithmetic, IB teaches in-depth concepts of mathematics, such as calculus.
Besides painting, it teaches students how to dance, sing, act, compose a song, and even play an instrument.
Apart from these six, IB International High School in Singapore also offers three more subjects. They are core courses that help students broaden their perspectives and experience about the world.
- Students should reflect on the knowledge they gained and try to develop new things from it.
- Writing Essay
- To write a research paper about a specific concept. It should be at least 4000 words.
- After learning, students must apply what they have learned through their extracurricular activities or volunteering.
PROS of an IB Education
- IB International uses academic rigour and cohesive teaching approach to teach their students.
- Students would learn only from teachers who went through intensive teaching training. Therefore, you can rest assured that your child would learn well in this curriculum.
- IB International also helps high school students in Singapore to prepare for their college education. That way, they would be ready even if they decided to study abroad.
CONS of an IB Education
- There are only a few numbers of high schools in the United States of America that use an IB curriculum. Therefore, the state you migrated from might not credit this education.
- IB curriculum can be demanding. So, make sure your child knows how to work hard with their studies.
Making Decision: Questions to Ask Your Child
It would be a good idea to ask their opinions since they would be learning this curriculum. So, as parents, you would listen to their voice well. That way, you would know if they want to do it or not. Here are the primary questions you need to ask if an IB school in Singapore is the right choice for them.
- Can you manage the curriculum and difficulty level of an IB education programme?
- If your child is not sure about this one, show them the list you receive from the IB school. It would help them weigh their difficulty level.
- Which side of your interests like, is it inside or outside of IB?
- Even though the IB curriculum has incredible subjects, your child might want to learn other things. So, asking this question would help them think about if this works well for their interests.
- Does your child intend to get an IB diploma or take a few classes?
- Since an IB school has three programmes, your child could choose whether to pursue it to get a diploma or not. If they do so, they need to complete the diploma programme.
What If Your Child Wants to Get a College Credit?
As mentioned above, there are only a few high schools that use the IB curriculum. Therefore, the learnings your child earned might not get any credit in their college education. However, to not let that happen, you have to verify it to your child’s chosen university or college if they credit IB curriculum in their school policy.
Choosing IB at Hillside World Academy!
At Hillside World Academy, your child would learn many things about the world. More so, if they start their primary years here in Singapore and study under the IB programme.